Tuesday, June 9, 2009

FINE WHNE!

I am sick and tired of aggressive marketing. Two cases in point –

(1) I call up to activate a credit card. I can understand why, for security reasons, the bank would want one to call in from a home phone instead of activating the card online. But all I want to do when calling is answer the security questions so I can activate the card for use.

However, even after my initial polite “not interested”, the person on the phone, apparently in India, continues – “while we are waiting let me tell you about this service” or “ would you be interested in transferring a balance” or “we have a great new offer for cardmembers”.

I eventually end up yelling, “I don’t want to be sold anything. Don’t waste my time or yours. All I want to do is activate the fekking credit card!!!

In the future I will begin my call by saying, “All I want to do is activate my card and nothing else, so please do not waste my time or yours by trying to sell me something”, not that I expect it will do any good.

(2) I went into my bank yesterday to make a deposit to my business checking account and a credit card payment. While on line an officer came up and said, “I can help you with that,” and led me to his desk. I assumed that he was not busy and would process my transactions instead of my having to wait for the next teller to be free.

Instead he gave my transactions to a teller and said, “While we are waiting let me check to make sure all your information is up to date” as he called up my account on his computer.

After telling him that I was pleased with my business account and had no questions or concerns he said, “I see you do not have a personal checking account with us.” I acknowledged that the statement was correct – but he couldn’t leave it alone.

“Why not?”

I do not have a personal checking account – I pay bills by cash and money order. And it is nobody’s GD business why I so choose (trust me, it is not to avoid paying tax on my income).

Despite, again, my initial polite “not interested at this time” he kept on. “We can offer you a totally free checking account”, “When we complete the conversion to Chase we will not be able to make this offer – which may be any day now”, “I can open the account for you now for only $25.00”.

No, no, no, no, no – I am not interested at this time. Are you deaf or just stupid!
.
Of course I did not actually say that. When the teller came back with my receipt I grabbed it, said, “I don’t have the time to waste right not” and walked out.

I can somewhat understand that these people are only trying to do what they have been told to do my superiors – but don’t they understand the excessive ill will that their continued nagging on the subject creates? Just like when on a date - NO means NO!

Thank you for allowing me to rant.

No comments: