Sunday, December 30, 2007

OOPS! THEY DID IT AGAIN!

I apologize in advance for the following rant.

I received an email last night from a total stranger asking a specific tax question about a year-end tax move currently in process. As it was sent late in the afternoon of December 29th it was expected that I would reply immediately. In fact, the email asked for an answer ASAP.

My reply was as follows:

“I solicit general tax questions for a weekly online feature ASK THE TAX PRO at my blog THE WANDERING TAX PRO.

I DO NOT PROVIDE FREE AND IMMEDIATE EMAIL ANSWERS TO SPECIFIC TAX QUESTIONS FOR ANY TOM, DICK OR RAY WHO DOES NOT WANT TO PAY HIS/HER TAX PREPARER TO ANSWER THE QUESTION, OR CANNOT GET A HOLD OF THEIR PREPARER ON A MINUTE'S NOTICE.”

I am glad to provide the free service of ASK THE TAX PRO, and in many cases enjoy researching and answering the questions.

However, my goat is gotten when someone thinks that because I write a tax blog providing free tax information and advice, including a weekly Q+A, I will also provide specific answers to specific tax situations on a moment’s notice free of charge! I am the WANDERING TAX PRO, not the PEOPLE’S FREE TAX CONSULTANT.

If you have a specific tax question about your individual situation that requires a prompt answer – ASK YOUR TAX PROFESSIONAL AND PAY HIM/HER FOR THE ADVICE!

TTFN

1 comment:

Robert D Flach said...

Wouldn't you know it - the person to whom I referred in my post sent me back an email chastising me for being a money grubber and saying that in the time it took me to send him the answer that I did I could have instead answered his question!

With any question I answer, other than the most simple, I take the time to at least verify my response at a reliable source - so I could not have answered the question in the time it took me to yell at him for trying to take advantage of my good nature.

Dealing with the "great unwashed masses" for as long as I have I should not be surprised at anything.

TWTP