Saturday, September 15, 2007

VIRUS WARNING

I just received the following email alert from a client. For what it is worth I pass it along to you -

“A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever. This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee. This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored. This virus acts in the following manner: It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title: 'You've received a Post Card from a Family member'.
.
As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+ del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York , according to news broadcast by CNN.
.
This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itself. So don't open any mails with subject: 'A Post Card from ...' As soon as you get the mail, delete it!! Even if you know the sender!!!
.
Please pass this mail to all of your friends.”

I do recall receiving several emails with that entry in the “Subject Line” at two of my email addresses. I assumed it was spam and automatically deleted it – which apparently was a good thing. As I have said before, I never open an email unless I recognize the “address” or name of the sender.

No comments: