Sunday, September 30, 2007

FINE WHINE

When visiting my “mail drop” the other day – Global Mail near Journal Square in Jersey City (also a client) – I noticed a sign at the counter:

“PLEASE – NO CELL PHONE CONVERSATIONS WHILE AT THE COUNTER – THANK YOU”

Kudos to my client! This sign should be prominently hung in every single business establishment and Post Office in America.

I am constantly amazed that while waiting on line at the bank or Post Office the person who is at the window currently being served is carrying on a conversation on a cell phone. What idiots!

As I have said before, in the “good old days” when you heard someone talking to himself/herself in the street it was because he/she was “not all there”. Nowadays, it is still because the person is “not all there”, but now he/she is talking on a cell phone.

Whenever I ride a public bus or train I am forced to listen to one side of about half a dozen phone conversations, none of which are particularly interesting.

I saw an excellent bumper sticker a while ago which read “GUNS DON’T KILL PEOPLE. IDIOTS TALKING ON CELL PHONES WHILE DRIVING KILL PEOPLE!” That is not a joke - I was almost run over crossing the street near my home when a person talking on a cell phone ran the red light.

Every single theatrical production, lecture or continuing education seminar must now be prefaced with the instruction “Please turn off all cell phones.” There was never an announcement “Please do not stab the person next to you with a knife”. Only a person who carries a cell phone everywhere would be stupid enough to have to be told to turn it off in such a situation.

There are only three (3) reasons why one should have a cell phone:

(1) So that a babysitter is able to contact you while you are out to dinner or at a movie to let you know of an emergency at home.

(2) So you can contact 9-1-1, the auto club, and/or your family if your car breaks down or you are involved in an accident (or to contact 9-1-1 for any other kind of emergency).

(3) So you can call a client, or a friend or family member, if you are on the road and running late for a business or social appointment, or to ask for directions if you are lost.

I dare anyone to name another legitimate reason.

I had a cell phone briefly several years ago, for reasons number (2) and (3). I kept it in my car and it was stolen. I never replaced it – and have never missed it.
.
TTFN

1 comment:

chris said...

Funny posting. I need to get one of those bumper stickers. Those ear pieces are even more annoying. Actually, I know a few people who are
'not all there' and do talk to themselves a lot...I should get them ear pieces so they just look annoying instead of imbalanced. Come to think of it...imbalanced is a better look...scrap the ear pieces.